By Chyanne London
Working at Bland Elementary School was a great experience. I
was initially surprised that when we first entered the school, no one checked
our IDs; they just handed us all nametags. This is very different from Maryland
Public Schools because they would never let you in without checking your ID first.
I worked with Ms. Barrett’s 4th grade reading class, and I absolutely
loved the children. I began by grading some of the assignments and handing them
back to the students once I was finished. Every student said, “Thank you ma’am,”
and showed Ms. Barrett a lot of respect. I individually read with a group of two students to give them one-on-one attention and to work on their reading skills.
Even though these students were considered further behind the other students,
they were very bright and took my suggestions on ways to read better and more
fluently.
Next, I handed out iPads to all of
the students to begin taking practice tests on the vocabulary they were
learning for this section in their book. We did a quick game where the students
challenged themselves to beat me in a game of Scatter. They really enjoyed
having a nice competition and felt a sense of accomplishment even when they
didn’t beat me in the game. It was nice to see the students interact with one
another and help one another with their reading assignments. I also found it
interesting that when the students did something bad, Ms. Barrett would give
them a “conduct cut” where the students had a silent lunch for the day and knew
they had to work on their behavior in the classroom. A few students in my class
got in trouble with their music teacher, and Ms. Barrett’s rule was that if you
got in trouble with another teacher you received two conduct cuts. I thought it
was great that Ms. Barrett and the other teachers worked well together and
taught the students that it was important to trust every teacher in the school
which transferred in the respectful way that the students treated me while I
was in the classroom with them. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Bland
Elementary School and hope to be back in Ms. Barrett’s class next time we
volunteer with the school.
No comments:
Post a Comment